Wednesday, September 17, 2014

Enable new metro boot loader when dual booting with Windows 8.1 and Windows 7

When I configured a dual boot system with Windows 8.1 and Windows 7, I was given the old school black and white boot loader menu. This does the job but I really liked the new metro boot loader menu. So, to enable it back, I executed the following steps:

  • Open cmd
  • Type in 'bcdedit /set {default] bootmenupolicy standard'
  • Insert the Windows 8 cd and boot into advanced options
  • Open cmd and identify which drive letter partition your Win 8 OS lives (I could tell easily due to certain applications installed in Prog Files)
  • Type in the following command 'bcdboot E:\windows" ('E was where my Win 8 OS was, D was my Win 7)
  • Reboot and your done!

Done! If you want the old school, replace the word 'standard' with 'legacy' and if your system does not change the boot loader, redo the Windows 8 boot cd process and use the Win 7 drive letter.

No comments:

Post a Comment