The tips below are based on Sharepoint 2007 (WSS + MOSS SP2)
- Never mix full and incremental Content Deployments. Run a full content deployment first then change it to incremental straight away. Never change an existing incremental deployment to full.
- Do not delete and rename pages during the same Content Deployment schedule.
- If your authoring changes do not appear on the destination farm then do an import and export of the sub site that is affect using only the Codeplex Sharepoint Content Deployment Wizard. The wizard is the only free tool I know that can retain object IDs and is easy to use.
- Ensure all solutions (WSPs) are installed on both authoring and destination farm.
- Always deploy to a blank site collection on the destination farm when running a full Content Deployment. Best use the following command to create a blank site collection (stsadm.exe -o createsite -url http://yourwebsite -ownerlogin DOMAIN\site_admin -owneremail firstname.lastname@example.org
I'll be modifying this post with more tips later